In the next lesson of the Brief History Course for Ukrainian learners, learn about the difficult and controversial times of Друга світова війна – Second World War in Ukraine.
In this Ukrainian Lesson, you will:
- listen to my introduction about короткий курс історії;
- listen the chapter #7 about the Second World War in Ukraine;
- relisten by smaller parts with my explanations and comprehension questions;
- try to solve a short quiz;
- discover what Great Patriotic War is (Велика вітчизняна війна).
Study these important terms before listening to the episode:
- Друга світова війна – World War II, also known as the Second World War, was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945.
- Договір про ненапад (Пакт Молотова-Рібентропа) – The Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact, also known the German–Soviet Non-aggression Pact was a neutrality pact between Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union signed in Moscow on 23 August 1939.
- Адольф Гітлер – Adolf Hitler
- Румунія – Romania
- Угорщина – Hungary
- Буковина – Bukovina is a historical region in Central Europe, divided between Romania and Ukraine, located on the northern slopes of the central Eastern Carpathians and the adjoining plains.
- Закарпаття – Carpathian Ruthenia or Zakarpattia is a historic region on the border between Central and Eastern Europe, mostly located in western Ukraine’s Zakarpattia Oblast.
- Євреї – Jews
- Битва під Сталінградом (late 1942 – February 2, 1943) – The Battle of Stalingrad was the largest confrontation of World War II in which Germany and its allies fought the Soviet Union for control of the city of Stalingrad in Southern Russia.
- Радянський партизанський рух – the Soviet partisan movement was the resistance movement that fought a guerrilla war against the Axis forces.
- Українська Повстанська Армія (УПА) – The Ukrainian Insurgent Army was a Ukrainian nationalist paramilitary and later partisan army that engaged in a series of guerrilla conflicts during World War II against Nazi Germany, the Soviet Union, Czechoslovakia, and both Underground and Communist Poland. The insurgent army arose out of separate militant formations of the Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists—Bandera faction (the OUN-B), other militant national-patriotic formations, some defectors of the Ukrainian Auxiliary Police, mobilization of the local population, and others.
- Організація Українських Націоналістів (ОУН) – The Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists was a Ukrainian nationalist political organization established in 1929 in Vienna.
- Битва за Київ (1943) – The Second Battle of Kуiv involved three strategic operations by the Soviet Red Army and one operational counterattack by the Wehrmacht which took place between 3 October and 22 December 1943.
- Депортація кримських татар – The deportation of the Crimean Tatars was the ethnic cleansing of at least 191,044 Tatars from Crimea in May 1944. Within three days, NKVD used cattle trains to deport women, children, the elderly, Communists, and members of the Red Army, to the Soviet Republic of Uzbekistan, several thousand kilometers away. They were one of the ten ethnicities who were encompassed by Stalin’s policy of population transfer in the Soviet Union.
- Чехоcловаччина – Czechoslovakia was a sovereign state in Central Europe that existed from October 1918, when it declared its independence from the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
Дякую, що слухаєте! – Thanks for listening!
- Please rate us and leave a review on iTunes, Stitcher, Podbean, on your favorite podcast app, or right here on the blog. Your ratings and reviews really help, and I read each one.
- Share this message on your social media or send it to your friends:
Learning Ukrainian? Then, I’m sure you’ll enjoy the Ukrainian Lessons Podcast – https://www.ukrainianlessons.com/thepodcast/
Transcript, Vocabulary List, and Flashcards!
- Full transcript & translation of all the introduction and the lecture in history;
- Encyclopedia: important historical terms explained;
- Exercises: fill-in the blanks, multiple choice comprehension test, vocabulary exercise to practice the new vocabulary;
- Vocabulary List: new words from the episode in a chart with English translation.
As a premium member, you also get access to:
- The lesson notes of the episodes you subscribe to;
- Private Community on Facebook for the free practice of Ukrainian;
- Digital flashcards with all the new words every 10 episodes!