How to say “thank you” in Ukrainian? There is one common way (дякую), but also there are some more advanced versions and synonyms that will impress native speakers.
Find out 8 ways to say “thank you” in Ukrainian below with audio!
If you can understand some Ukrainian, you can go ahead and listen to our podcast episode all about saying “thank you” in Ukrainian!
1. Дякую! /d’akuju/ = Thank you!
This is the most common way to say “thank you” in Ukrainian. Short and easy! Just make sure to pronounce that [d] softly.
2. Дуже дякую! /duzhe d’akuju/ = Thank you very much!
Add “duzhe“ to anything in Ukrainian to say “very”, “very much”.
Learn some short and useful questions that will save you during your trip in Ukraine here (there is a cheat sheet too!)
3. Щиро дякую! /shchyro d’akuju/ = Sincerely thank you!
This is a nice, common form to use in more formal situations, or in an email, for instance.
4. Сердечно дякую! /serdechno d’akuju/ = Thank you from my heart!
This one is similar to “Щиро дякую!” and is used when you want to express a lot of gratitude (that comes from you heart – серце).
5. Спасибі! /spasybi/ = Thank you!
This is a synonym of “Дякую” which is also widely used. It has an interesting Old Slavic origin: from “спаси Бог” – “save (us) God”.
6. Дякую за… /d’akuju za/ = Thank you for…
If you want to thank for something add “за” after “дякую” or “спасибі“. Note you will have to use the Accusative case after “за“:
- Дякую за вечір – Thank you for the evening
- Дякую за обід – Thank you for the lunch
- Дякую за вечерю – Thank you for the dinner
- Дякую за підтримку – Thank you for your support
- Дякую за привітання – Thank you for your wishes
7. Я дуже вдячна (вдячний) за… /ja duzhe vd’achna (vd’achnyj) za/ = I am very grateful for…
This is a common expression using the adjective “grateful” – вдячний. Note that you have to use:
вдячна – if you are a woman
вдячний – if you are a man
вдячні – if you are talking about several people
8. На знак вдячності… /na znak vd’achnosti/ = As a sign of gratitude…
If you want to give someone a present or make something nice for someone as a sign of gratitude, you can nicely say in Ukrainian:
- На знак вдячності, я хочу подарувати вам щось – As a sign of gratitude, I want to give you a little something.
- На знак вдячності, я хочу запросити тебе на обід – As a sign of gratitude, I want to invite you for dinner.
Was this article useful for you? You can try and say “thank you” in Ukrainian in the comments below. If you’d like, share our web-site with your friends and/or like us on Facebook and Instagram – на знак вдячності 🙂